Dec 16, 2010

Immigration Reality: The Double Life of an Undocumented Student

WONDERFUL! We love this piece.

The Double Life of an Undocumented Student « Zócalo Public Square: "Sometimes I feel like a stressed-out comic book super hero, juggling multiple identities. Public opinion vilifies my kind, because people imagine that my kind spits venom or have two heads. The so-called public fears what it can’t comprehend. It’s as if people, collectively, have their fingers in their ears while yelling “lalalalala, I-can’t-hear-you,” but once you connect with them individually, one by one, they become open-minded, curious, smart… empathetic.

I guess I should be inspired by Superman, arguably the most accomplished of all “illegal aliens.” Literally, in his case, as he came from another planet as an infant because his parents wanted to give him a better life when his home world was annihilated. He landed on earth and was raised in the Midwest by a loving couple to become a symbol for truth, justice and the American way. Last time I checked, he was still working at the Daily Planet, getting by under the name of “Clark Kent.” I hope that the e-verify system doesn’t catch up with him someday; where would ICE deport him?"

No comments:

Post a Comment