May 20, 2011

¡Viva Mexico!: Abel Quezada drew the idiosyncratic soul of Mexico

Abel Quezada drew the idiosyncratic soul of Mexico | La Plaza | Los Angeles Times: "'I make illustrated texts,' the Mexican cartoonist Abel Quezada once remarked. 'People like calling them cartoons in order to define my profession, but I consider myself someone who draws. Drawing for me is a constant nervous tic.'

It was a tic that for more than 50 years produced some of the most memorable political cartoons in the popular imagination of Mexico. Quezada skewered both left and right, rich and poor, and was undeterred from criticizing through his 'illustrated texts' the long regime under the Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI. ...

Quezada's greatest muse remained the absurd carnival that is life in Mexico."

No comments:

Post a Comment